Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Homemade Ketchup

Dieter can't have store bought ketchup because of the corn syrup, so I made my own. I was surprised how good it was! After having it, I will have a hard time using "regular" ketchup. I multiplied my recipe by 24 because I wanted to bottle it.

Ketchup

2 lbs Tomatoes, roughly chopped
1/2 cup White Vinegar
1 Onion, chopped
1 Clove of Garlic, crushed
1/4 cup Honey
4 whole Cloves
1 Bay Leaf
1 Cinnamon Stick
1/4 tsp Celery Seeds
1/4 Red Pepper Flakes
1/4 tsp whole Allspice
1 Anaheim Chile, chopped (optional)
1 1/2 tsp Salt

- In a small saucepan, combine vinegar, cloves, bay leaf, cinnamon, celery seeds, red pepper, and allspice. Simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.
- In a large skillet or wok, combine all remaining ingredients except honey. Cook on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until onions and chilies are very soft, about 40 minutes.
- Strain the vinegar mixture through a fine-mesh strainer and add the infused vinegar to the tomatoes and stir.
- Puree the tomato sauce in a blender until smooth. Strain the sauce through a fine mesh strainer and return sauce to the skillet.
- Continue heating until the sauce is at a desired thickness, about 2 hours.
- When near completion, add the honey and stir until fully incorporated.
- Taste and adjust salt, honey, and vinegar as desired.


I need a new camera to take better pictures :)



Recipe found in the Internal Bliss cookbook



Linking up here:
Just a girl
Chef in training
Hope Studios
Todays Creative Blog
Sugar Bee Crafts
A Bowl Full of Lemons
The Thrifty Home
We are that family
The Diaper Diaries
Lovely Crafty Home
Fun to Craft

8 comments:

DebBee said...

I've always wanted to make my own ketchup. I saved your post and will be trying this! Thank you!

Angela Young said...

I just found your blog on A Bowl Full of Lemons link party. This is a great recipe! I may give this a try. thanks for sharing!

Alison @ mommadidit.blogspot.com said...

We go through A LOT of ketchup around here. I can't wait to try my hand at making my own.

Pam said...

ooh..looks good! I think my hubby might be up for trying this next year with some of our garden's tomatoes.

Vicky @ Mess For Less said...

That sounds great! Is it spicy? I've had spicy ketchup at restaurants and always enjoy it. I am a new follower from The Shabby Nest. Vicky from www.messforless.net

Rustown Mom said...

Wow - impressive you made your own. Think of all the delish variations!

sstone said...

Ooh, yum, I love ketchup! I wanna try this!
everydaygameplan.net

Jeanette said...

So fun--I'm all about the homemade condiments!